All About Elin Thomas
Elin has been painting since the age of nine and selling her paintings since 1983. She was recognized when she was in her teens for her artistic talent by the late Millard Sheets, and since then she has studied and painted in South America, Central America and Europe. She is traditionally trained, with a bachelor's degree in fine art from San Diego State University.
Her award-winning paintings are found in both private and corporate collections throughout the United States and Europe and she continues to produce commission work. She has studied with noted artists Richard Schmid, Al Brouilette, Joyce Pike, Robert E. Wood and Ovanes Berberian. In addition, she is a skilled teacher and conducts workshops for aspiring painters featuring her Color System for getting good color, every time. She markets her work primarily through her web sites and higher-end galleries.
Elin's home and studio are located inside the Nature Preserve of Box Springs Mountain near Riverside, Southern California. Surrounded by over 8,000 acres of open space, yet minutes away from the University of California Riverside, her creative environment is an artistic Eden. She lives with a variety of domestic animals (sheep, dogs, cats, chickens, as of this writing) all of which have found their way into her paintings. (Go here for a more personal background.)
- The New Creative Artist by Nita Leland, North Light Publications, July 2006, two paintings
- 80 Acrylic Painting References, The Artist's Source Book, Walter Foster Publications, eighteen paintings and 420 color swatches, May 2006
- Cover Image, The Art of Acrylic Painting, Walter Foster Publications, and lesson pages on pp. 35 through 41, September 2005
- Cover, The Orange Progress Orange Chamber of Commerce magazine, September-October, 2005
- Cover, The Northwest Horse Source, March 2005
- Feature Article, The Northwest Horse Source, March 2005
- Horses in Acrylics, Walter Foster Publications, HT 285, November 2004
- American Academy of Equine Art Newsletter, Spring 2003 "On Professionalism"
- Artist's Magazine, April 2003 "The Artist's Life" on thinking outside the box.
- Equine Vision Magzine, Winter, 2001, Cover and feature article "Living the Good Life"
- Canter Magazine, Spring Issue, Back cover, full page advertisement
- Orange Chamber of Commerce "Orange Plaza #1" publicity image, May 2001 to May 2002 for all promotional materials
- Art-Talk, November 2000 "Art on the Net" contributing author
- Artist's Magazine "The Pleasure of Work", and "Three Mules, Two Weeks" featured in the January 2000 issue in an article about works on paper by Nita Leland
- Equine Image Magazine,November 2000, "The A Team Revisited" featured in article on Draft Horse artists.
- Art Calendar Magazine, December 1999, "Summer Work" as part of a promotion for the 2000 centerfold art contest
- The Equine Image, December/January 2000, "Lynn's Thunder"
- Art Calendar Magazine, October, 1999, Authored "Success on the Internet: Internet Marketing Strategies"
- The Equine Image, October/November 1999 "Summer Work"
AWARDS (partial listing)
Awards Won for Recent Paintings
- First in Acrylics, Horse Expo Sacramento, "Before the Storm", July 2005
- Award of Excellence, Harness Tracks of America Auction, "Morning at the Red Mile", 2004
- Excellence in Oils, Harness Tracks of America Auction, "Working to Twilight" 2003
- Award of Excellence, "Krispy Kreme", Millard Sheets Gallery 2002 Paint Out at the Los Angeles County Fair
- Best in Show, 2-Dimensional "The Groom" Black Stallion Literacy Project, Florida Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Gallery, Ocaca, Florida 2002
- First place, Oils, "High Tech Horsewoman" Black Stallion Literacy Project, Florida Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Gallery, Ocaca, Florida 2002
- Second Place, "Very Moo-ving" Plein air painting, Millard Sheets Gallery, 2001 LA County Fair 4th Annual Paint Out
- Gallery Choice for "Smile" Millard Sheets Gallery, LA County Fair 4th Annual Paint Out
- Merchandise Award for "Orange Plaza #2" in the Orange Paint the Towne plein aire event in the city of Orange, CA, May 2001
- Cider Painters of America Human Figure Award for "Bug Man", 2001 Miniature Show, Pennsylvania
- Second Place, "Sifnos Morning Fisherman", St. Louis Art Guild, "Not Under Glass", St. Louis MO, October 2000
- Fallbrook Art Association Open Juried Show, First Award, Watermedia, 2000
- Viola Longmire Memorial Prize for Human Figure, St. Louis Artists' Guild at Oak Knoll, November - December 2000 "Sifnos Morning Fisherman"
- Da Vinci Award for "Shelf Life" Fabricritter in the National Acrylic Painters Association show in the South East Louisiana University Gallery, Hammond, LA
- Second Place, Eighth Annual Miniature Show, Seaside Gallery, NC "The Spinner" (sold)
- Best In Show, 1999 City of Norco Western Art Show "Summer Work"
- First Place, Oils - 1997 California Council of Art Leagues - "Syfnos Morning Fisherman"
- First Place, Oils - 1997 Temecula Valley Balloon and Wine Festival - "Solitary Pear" (sold)
- Poster Selection - 1997 Temecula Arts in the Country - "North Fork, San Jacinto River" (sold)
- First Place - 1997 City of Norco Inaugural Western Art Show - "The Plowing Match"
- Two Sponsor's Awards - 1997 City of Norco Inaugural Western Art Show - "Fixin' the Bit" (sold) and "Best of Friends"
- Paint the Aspens, annual event in the White Mountains, Arizona
- Desert Plein Air, City of La Quinta
- The Draft Horse "Art at the Classic"
- La Quinta 5th Annual Desert Plein Air Competition and Exhibition
- National Monument Celebration, La Quinta Arts Foundation, October 2002
- Invitational Paint-Out at the Huntington, San Marino, CA April, 2002
- Historic Orange En Plein Air "Paint the Towne" May, 2001 and 2002, Orange, CA
Return to top.
Work Accepted for Juried Shows (Partial List)
- Cattlemens' Western Art Show, April 2006
- Women Artists of the West Membership Show, Hart Park, Newhall, CA, April 2006
- Norco Western Art Show, Norco, CA 2006 (Platinum Award and First Place, Professional Division)
- Fall Open Juried Exhibit, American Academy of Equine Art, September, 2005
- Harness Tracks of America Auction, June 2005
- "Equine Spirit" at the Cross Gate Gallery, Lexington, two paintings, Spring 2005
- Draft Horse Classic "Art at the Classic", two pieces accepted, September, 2005
- "Equine Spirit" at the Wildlife Experience Museum, Denver, and the Kentucky Horse Park, Lexington, two paintings, Spring 2004
- American Academy of Equine Art, Fall Showcase, Museum of the Horse, Lexington, KY
- NAPA USA Seventh Annual Juried Internaitonal Exhibition, 2003, Cornell Musuem of Art and History, September 18- November 9, Del Rey Beach, Florida Deerely Beloved, 11 x 14 acrylic
- La Quinta Festival of Arts, La Quinta, CA 2003 - 2004
- Cattlemen's Western Art Show, Paso Robles, CA 2003 - 2004
- Harness Tracks of America 26th National Auction, Summer 2003
- Reagan Presidential Library Strathern Foundation Western Art Show, October 2003
- Women Artists of the West Fifth International Juried Show, Dubois, Wyoming, 2003
- Draft Horse Classic "Art at the Classic", two pieces accepted, September, 2003
- NAPA USA Fifth International Open Exhibition, Hammond, Louisiana, 2001
- Women Artists of the West 30th Annual Membership Show at the Lillian Berkley Collection, Escondido, CA 2001
- American Academy of Equine Art, Featured Artost's Show, Central Library Gallery, Lexington, KY, 2001
- Eighth Annual Miniature Show, Nags Head, NC, 2000 (Three pieces)
- Equine Art Showcase, Sportsman's Gallery, Atlanta, GA 2000New Visions' Culture and Agriculture, Marshfield, WI 2000 (Two pieces)
- Mother Lode National Art Show, Placerville, CA (Four pieces accepted)
- Catharine Lorilliard Wolfe Art Club 102nd Juried Show, New York, 1998
- California Council of Art Leagues, Art Angles, 1997
- Catharine Lorilliard Wolfe Art Club 101st Juried Show, New York, 1997
- American Academy of Equine Art Invitational Show, 1997
- WAOW Annual Membership Show (Annual)
- WAOW Fourth International Show and Exhibition, Biloxi, MS
- Del Mar Fair, CA (Annual)
- Indio Date Festival Juried Art Show (Annual)
- WAOW Small Works Show and Sale (Annual)
- Escondido Art Association Show, "Members and Friends.."
- Death Valley 49er's Invitational Western Show and Sale
- Ramona Pageant Fine Art Show
- Canyon Lake Fiesta Days Art Show
- Calico Ghost Town Invitational Western Art Show
- Temecula Arts in the Country 1995, 1996
Best of Juried Show Awards During the Past Several Years
- Art at the Classic, Draft Horse Classic, Painting, 2003
- Black Stallion Literacy Project, Walter Farley, Ocala, Florida
- Norco Third Annual Western Art Show
- Canyon Lake Fiesta Days
- Cherry Valley Art Show
- Canyon Lake June Art Celebration
- Elsinore Women's Club Show
- San Bernardino County Fair
- Indio Date Festival (twice)
- City of Lake Elsinore Art Show
Return to top.
FORMER GALLERY AFFILIATIONS
- Cross Gate Gallery, Lexington, KY - Horses and Equine Subjects
- Idyllwild Gallery of Fine Art, Idyllwild, CA - Landscape, Still Life and Plein Air Paintings
SHOWS (partial listing)
- One-artist show at the Poway Public Libaray, Poway, CA, fifteen paintings, November, 2003
- Art at the Classic, Draft Horse Classic, Grass Valley, CA September, 2003
- Solo Artist Showing, the Exchange Gallery of Fine Art, forty paintings, November -January 2003, Orange, CA.
- Santa Rosa Ecological Preserve Visitors Center, Group Show, "Scenes from the Plateau" Summer 2003, 2002, and 2001
- Fourth of July Group Show, Bella Gallery, Lake Elsinore, CA 2002
- Walter Farley's Black Stallion Literacy Project, FOTBA Gallery, Ocala, FL 2002
- One Artist Show, "Local Scenes," Bella Gallery, Lake Elsinore, CA 2002
- One woman exhibit, "Animals in Art", Bella Gallery, Lake Elsinore, CA 2001
- One woman exhibit, Temecula City Hall, Temecula, CA 1998 and 2001
- Womenworks '96
- One-Woman Show, Elinor's at the Lodge, Canyon Lake, 1997
- American Academy of Equine Art, Kentucky Horse Park, 1997
- Catharine Lorriliard Wolfe Art Show, New York City, 1997
- One-Woman Show, Temecula City Library, 1997
- Group Show, Western Art Show, Fontana
- Death Valley 49er's Juried Art Show
- Calico Ghost Town Invitational Western Art Show
- Desert Art Center Outdoor Bi-annual Exhibit
Hemet Art Association Ramona Pageant Outdoor Show
Coachella Museum Association Group Show
Studied with Michael Obermeyer, Richard Schmid, Ken Auster, Ovanes Berberian, Joyce Pike, Robert E. Wood, and Al Broulliette.
Bachelor of Arts: Fine Arts, San Diego State University.
Master of Arts: Education, University of La Verne.
COLLECTIONS (partial listing)
- Toyota Corporation, Japan
- Hiller Chevrolet, TX
- Wells Fargo Bank
- Art of the West Magazine
- City of Temecula
- Hemborg Ford
- Dr. Marilyn Shipley
- Dr. Pauline Hixon
- Dr. Ron Pendleton
- Dr. Stanley Galas
- ..and hundreds more.
- American Academy of Equine Art, Full Member, 2003, Associate Member in 2000, Board Member, 2005-2006.
- Equine Art Guild, Member and Mentor, 2002-2011
- Women Artists of the West, President in 2004, Signature Member since 1989, Board Member since 1996 and Web Designer and West Wind Editor from 1996 to 2001 Emeritus member to Present.
- National Acrylic Painters Association (now ISAP), Signature Member since 1997
- Oil Painters of America, Associate Member since August 2000
- Canyon Lake Art Association, life member and past president
- Fallbrook Art Association, past member
- Doing a daily painting which is sent to an ever-increasing email list, since October, 2005.
- Serving as Fine Arts Judge for national and regional art shows
- Author and digital editor of six painting instructional DVDs, one each in oil painting, acrylic painting and plein air, as well as a series of three DVDs on "Colorful Oil Painting"
- Doing occasional Oil and Acrylic painting demonstrations for art organizations
- Teach painting technique and color workshops around the United States.
- Retired from teaching college-level painting courses and online art appreciation classes.
Contact Elin by clicking here